POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Minimum Entry Requirements : Re: Minimum Entry Requirements Server Time
2 May 2024 11:40:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Minimum Entry Requirements
From: Tek
Date: 15 Jun 2009 14:41:39
Message: <4a3695e3@news.povray.org>
"Michael Hunter" <int### [at] onenet> wrote in message
> We will fail to retain and acquire the most proficient 3D artists if
> we dictate to them how they are allowed to make their art. These people
> both
> inspire us with their images and teach us with their comments and should
> be
> highly valued.

The premise of your argument seems to be that you want to expand the range
of people interested in entering this contest. I have to disagree with that
principal. One of the main reasons I have found the IRTC so rewarding is the
very technical focus of most entrants and judges. If it loses that focus, if
people start commenting on my povray images talking about shaders and
polygons, I'm going to lose interest.

There are other 3D competitions and I believe the rules are the main thing
that distinguishes the IRTC from other contests. I have never taken an
interest in other contests (aside from Paul Bourke's even more technically
focussed short code contest), and if the IRTC starts to become more
mainstream it will be less appealing to me. And I doubt if I'm the only
person who feels like this.

The IRTC used to inspire me and drive my art, and I hope the new IRTC will
as well, please don't change that.

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com